I'm twenty years old, and I think I can safely speak for anyone else that's currently twenty or has experienced being this age when I say that being twenty is possibly the most awkward time of ones life.
You're twenty years old, and you're patiently waiting for that moment when you finally reach the legal age for life. It's like, you're legal but you're barely there. Almost like a lab rat running on a mini treadmill chasing a piece of cheese in front of him. The cheese is right there - so close, yet so out of reach. It's finally the year you've been waiting for! But now your friends have already reached 21, and they're going all out enjoying being legal while you can't join in because there's only just a couple months left till you get there. Oh the agony.
I'm legal in August. So close, yet so damn far away...why couldn't people cut me some slack, I'm almost there! Let me into your club!
Just kidding about that last part.
Then there's the whole thing about being a young adult at this time of your life. Trying to really figure out what you're all about and what you want to do with your life. It seems like a lot of people at this age has it all figured out, but in reality I think a lot of us are just winging as the day goes by. No, but really I think a lot people are well established with knowing what they're doing, and which path they're turning into. Whereas, I feel like my path hit a fork and one road is about to hit a dead end - except that's the road I chose so now I have to turn around and go down the other road. I feel like I've wasted a colossal amount of time in my life, but I'd like to tell me it's okay...what's the rush. Just take it at a pace that you're comfy with and slowly, but surely I'll get to the finish line.
Then I realize I'll never reach the real finish line till I'm old and am a prune. Looks like I really have a long ways ahead of me. With so many turns to take down the road.
We aren't really mature yet. Then again, will we ever reach the right peak of maturity? It's all in how we handle things, the way we think, etc. Sometimes I'd like to think I'm okay, I'm mature. But I know for sure, that I still have a lot of growing up to do. Especially with the fact that I need to really just get my shit together, and really be aware of what's going on around me. That should really be something for me to work on.
We're in young adult hood. Where things have just got started. If things are tough now, just wait. Adult hood is about to be scary. I think to depict how tough we will have it, we would have to have it extra tough now. Then vice versa.
I guess I should just enjoy the next five months of being an awkward young adult.
No comments:
Post a Comment